0.30% APY** UECU Health Savings Account
With the rising cost of healthcare and many companies offering high deductible healthcare plans, UECU’s HSA helps you defray the cost of medical expenses. Our HSA earns a great high-yield dividend while helping you manage your healthcare.
- Make medical purchases with the free HSA Visa® Debit Card everywhere Visa is accepted – and earn VantagePoints™ rewards*
- With UECU’s HSA you don’t have to worry about moving the account if you switch jobs
- Contributions are tax-deductible, earnings are tax-deferred, and qualified distributions are tax-free and penalty-free
HSAs were created by Congress through the Medicare, Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act of 2003 and became effective on January 1, 2004. They were created in response to the rising cost of healthcare and health insurance and the larger number of individuals and families with high deductible health plans. The intent of Congress in passing the Health Savings Account (HSA) legislation was to provide financial incentive to employers of all sizes to provide health insurance and put healthcare decisions back in the hands of consumers.
- Health Savings Accounts (HSAs) are accounts insured by the NCUA up to $250,000 collectively for all savings products excluding IRAs
- HSA contributions can be made by payroll deduction, employer deposit, check deposit, or funds transfer from a member’s UECU share savings or checking account
- Eligible contributions are fully tax-deductible
- Qualified distributions are tax-free and penalty-free
- Rollovers and direct transfers can be made from one HSA to another HSA or from a Medical Savings Account to an HSA
- No required minimum distributions
- Earns a high-yield dividend rate
- Combined quarterly statement
- With a UECU HSA, you can easily access your funds
- Make medical purchases with the free HSA Visa Debit Card everywhere Visa is accepted – and earn VantagePoints™ rewards*
- Order checks if you prefer to write checks from your HSA to cover your medical expenses
What is a Health Savings Account (HSA)?
They are similar to IRAs in that contributions are tax-deductible, earnings are tax-deferred, and qualified distributions are tax-free and penalty-free. The account is also portable (you can retain the account if you change employment or health insurance plans). Additionally, there is no “use it or lose it” provision as with Section 125 plans. HSAs are not, however, designed as long-term savings accounts.
You (and your spouse, if you have family coverage) generally cannot have any other health coverage that is not a high deductible health plan (HDHP). However, you can have additional insurance that provides benefits only for the following items:
- Liabilities incurred under workers’ compensation laws, tort liabilities, or liabilities related to ownership or use of property.
- A specific disease or illness
- A fixed amount per day (or other period) of hospitalization
- Your funds will be automatically deposited into your Share Savings Account unless you instruct otherwise
- You can also have coverage (whether provided through insurance or otherwise) for the following items:
- Dental care
- Vision care
- Long-term care
The main requirement is that the individual must be covered under a qualified HDHP. The plan must meet both the requirements listed in the chart below:
|Year||Single Coverage HDHP||Family Coverage HDHP|
|Minimum Deductible||Maximum Out-of-Pocket||Minimum Deductible||Maximum Out-of-Pocket|
|Over 55 Catch-Up
Have Questions? Need Help Getting Started? Call 800.288.6423.
To open an HSA, complete the application and return it to UECU.
*Earn 1 UECU VantagePoint™ for every $2 you spend with an HSA Visa® Debit Card on qualified healthcare expenses. Cardholders must be enrolled in E-Statements to earn 1 point for every $2 spent on Visa purchases. ATM cash transactions or cash advance transactions are not eligible to earn points. Points are earned net of credits.
**APY=Annual Percentage Yield
Dividend rate and Annual Percentage Yield (APY) are stated as of 1/1/2021.
Health savings accounts help meets today’s needs and in retirement. Get ready for retirement today.
Federally Insured by NCUA
Utilities Employees Credit Union is an Equal Opportunity Lender.
2020 © Utilities Employees Credit Union. All Rights Reserved.
At Utilities Employees Credit Union we are actively working to increase accessibility and usability of our website for every visitor in accordance with ADA standards and guidelines. If you are using an auxiliary aid or a screen reader and need assistance please visit our accessibility page and use the contact information to be connected to a UECU Representative.
All products and services available on this website are available at Utilities Employees Credit Union at 11 Meridian Boulevard in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania.